Spring’s here, and for many homeowners, that means preparing for duct cleaning in Cleveland. After a long winter of running the central heat, making sure your home’s ducts are free of dust, debris and other, more hazardous materials is the smart and hygienic thing to do.
The United States Environmental Protection Agency advises that there are three reasons to clean the air ducts in your home:
- If you can see significant mold growth inside the ducts or on other parts of your central air system.
- If dust and debris are actually blocking the ducts, causing particles to be released into your home.
- If there’s a rodent or vermin infestation in the ducts.
Of course, many homeowners prefer to maintain their air ducts regularly even if they appear clean. Many environmental specialists believe that doing so improves the air quality and reduces the risk of breathing and allergy problems, although there’s no official advisory about this yet.
What follows are some of Arco’s top tips for DIY air duct cleaning:
- Wear protective clothing. In order to minimize contact with potentially hazardous particles like mold, be sure to wear clothing that doesn’t leave your skin exposed. In addition, wear sturdy rubber gloves, a disposable face mask and safety glasses.
- Make a cleaning solution. In a bucket, mix one part bleach with three parts water. This will be potent enough to kill any microbes or other dangerous particles. Wipe the sides of the ducts with a rag dipped in the solution.
- Vacuum the duct. Insert the hose of your vacuum as far as possible into the duct to remove the dust and debris. Be careful not to touch the sides of the ducts, since the suction could damage them.
- Clean the grille. Use a brush to remove the dirt from the duct grille.
- Empty your vacuum cleaner. Empty your vacuum cleaner into an airtight bag and dispose of it properly in order to avoid any hazardous materials getting into your home.
Remember: professionals like the team at Arco can perform a more in-depth cleaning, so if you want to be 100% sure the ducts in your home are as clean as possible, call them for a free estimate!