HVAC & Plumbing Estimate Checklist: Factors to Consider
There are plenty of HVAC and plumbing companies in the Midwest, let alone our beloved Cleveland metro area, but how do you know who to trust? Installations, maintenance, and repairs could cost you a pretty penny, so you are probably inclined to spend your dollars wisely. But getting an estimate for your HVAC and plumbing needs is not as straightforward as you may think.
Sure, one company may offer a lower estimate than another, but at what expense? Is a too-good-to-be-true estimate worth sacrificing the quality and reliability of your HVAC or plumbing system? At the same time, you don’t want to overspend on a service that you could get at a lower price with the same level of quality, either.
To help alleviate the stress and confusion you may be feeling while doing your research, we compiled a list of 24 things to look for when gathering estimates for your HVAC and plumbing service needs.
- Years in business: Experience counts. You don’t want a company that’s new to the business, you want one that has seen and handled it all. With 65+ years of experience, our HVAC and plumbing experts are your trusted service team.
- BBB Rating: The Better Business Bureau is a go-to source for reliable businesses and brands. BBB Accredited businesses, such as ours, are dedicated to honest advertising and integrity, especially in dispute resolutions and inquiry services.
- Angie’s List: Recently rebranded to “Angi Homeservices,” Angie’s List allows members to research, hire, rate, and review local professionals, like us.
- The number of overall reviews: Having hundreds of online reviews is one thing, but having hundreds of positive online reviews is key. Arco Comfort Air is highly rated across several online rating platforms, including Yelp, HomeAdvisor, and Facebook.
- Up-to-date technologies: Great quality and service begin with great technology. You don’t want to hire a company that uses outdated technology. It could cost you.
- Website: A company’s website reveals a lot about its culture, character, and quality. A website should consist of honest and thorough information, so you know what to expect before hiring.
- Fleet: Having large fleets of vehicles consisting of different sizes is critical in completing a service on time and with top-tier quality. These fleets should be ready to go and fully stocked at all times.
- Employees or contractors: Contractors work as independent businesspeople while employees work under a single employer. Employees tend to provide continuity, in-depth knowledge, and consistent service because of their role in the company.
- Load calculations: HVAC load calculations are typically based on the square footage of the conditioned floor, amount of windows, sun exposure, and more.
- Financing: Finding a company that provides affordable rates through financing options is a strong advantage for your wallet.
- Warranties: If your HVAC or plumbing systems malfunction or otherwise don’t operate as intended, a warranty will help cover the cost of replacements or corrections as outlined in the contract.
- After-hour service: HVAC and plumbing emergencies are not a 9-to-5 matter. They could happen at any time of day, so you should hire a company that’s available 24/7 for emergency care, like ours.
- Size of service department: When it comes to service departments, the more hands on deck, the better.
- Remote monitoring and diagnostics (RM&D): The process of collecting, analyzing, and making decisions is more efficient with RM&D. It helps experts predict problems and proactively address them, preventing problems from becoming problems.
- Type of dispatch software: Quality dispatch software allows dispatchers to efficiently control service experts’ routes and schedules, saving them time, money, and labor.
- Employee training: At the very least, your service professional should be licensed and certified. It’s even better to hire an expert who is fully trained and up-to-date on industry best practices.
- The number of locations: The more locations a company has, the more customers it can serve. We have 4 locations, including Solon, Akron, Avon, and Cleveland.
- Pulling permits: Your service professional must take out a permit from the local building and safety department to help avoid fines and extra repairs.
- Insurance: The company you hire should have adequate insurance coverage in the event of damage or injury. It’s better to be safe than sorry.
- Licenses and bonds: A company should have the required licensing, insurance, and payments for added coverage with a bond, which is an extra layer of insurance on a policy.
- Indoor air quality solutions: Your HVAC and plumbing systems should not produce nor contribute to indoor air quality, which is among the top causes of illness in US homes. Ensure the company you hire offers solutions to this critical issue.
- Background checks on employees or contractors: You want peace of mind knowing your service expert is reliable, law-abiding, responsible, and safe to be around. Background checks evaluate various factors to ensure an expert meets these standards.
- Relationship with large retailers: To obtain the best HVAC and plumbing products and technologies, companies should have a vast network of large retailers who supply these products and services. Customers should get the “best of the best,” and large retailers tend to offer that.
- Service membership program: You should look out for companies that offer membership programs, particularly, ones that reward customers for using a company’s products or services. Click here to check out our Service Maintenance Plan for more information.
Questions? We can help provide answers. Gathering estimates for your HVAC and plumbing needs can be time-consuming and overwhelming, but allow us to make the process a little bit easier and contact us at (216) 220-2566 to learn what Arco Comfort Air has to offer!