How Much Does It Cost to Replace an Air Conditioner?
Deciding whether to replace your air conditioner can be overwhelming if you don’t prepare and consider all your options and variable costs. It’s not uncommon for homeowners to struggle with the process because they don’t know where to begin to determine fair costs. To ensure you aren’t overpaying for your air conditioner replacement, you should research beforehand. Many factors come into play when installing a new air conditioning system. The final price tag for a replacement includes more than just the cost of the unit. While prices will vary by model and size, several other factors influence the final cost of AC replacement services. We’ve compiled a list of the factors that most significantly impact end costs in our market.
Common Factors Affecting AC Replacement Costs
When you research the cost of AC replacement services, it can be a difficult number to pin down. For starters, it changes based on where you live, the time of year you’re purchasing, and many other factors. In our market, AC replacement services can range between $5,892 and $10,872. Several factors will impact the cost of AC unit replacement. It’s not just the fees associated with purchasing the new system. Other costs must be added to get a complete picture of the entire project.
When determining projected costs for your AC replacement project, you should include the following associated costs:
- The New AC Unit: A new central air conditioner system varies in cost based on what you’re looking for and the unit's features. You could spend anywhere between $3,000 and $8,000 for the air conditioner. Features like energy efficiency ratings, staged compressors, and sound silencer systems can also impact the final price.
- Labor Costs: Your local professionals will have standard costs for unit replacement services. Their fees are typically based on unit size and any additional complexities. The job could be longer and more expensive if you need additional ductwork, a new refrigerant lineset, or a larger space created to house your new system. Labor can range between $1000 and $2000 depending on the level of work needed.
- Installation Factors: There are different levels of HVAC installation that will impact the costs of the project. If you need a one-phase system change, which replaces an old unit with a new one, that’s a far simpler process than a full installation. If your new system includes a new heater, indoor air quality accessories, additional ductwork, thermostats that are WIFI compatible, and learning or communicating software, the final price of your system installation will reflect these additions.
- System Disposal & Removal: As you can likely imagine, getting rid of an old, broken air conditioner isn’t free. Your AC replacement team will need to remove your old system to install your new one, but you can check to confirm they offer removal as part of their replacement fee. At Arco Comfort Air, we recycle your old equipment into scrap metal so it doesn’t go directly into a landfill.
- Thermostat: A thermostat isn’t an incredibly expensive add-on. If your previous system is older and is being replaced with a modern unit, a new smart thermostat may make sense for your project. A smart thermostat can run anywhere from $150 to $400, and you would need one for each unit attached to your home.
The Importance of Choosing an Experience AC Replacement Specialists
We’ve discussed the common factors that can impact the cost of AC replacement services. An often-overlooked expense that can add to the final cost of your AC replacement is repairs caused by improper installation. Replacing an AC unit may seem like an easy or untechnical task, but it is quite complex. So, the importance of hiring professional HVAC service providers can’t be stressed enough. An improperly installed AC unit can require repairs for the life of the system, so entrusting your new air conditioner to just any technician could be an expensive mistake.
The team at Arco Comfort Air has decades of industry experience, and we’ve served the residents of Northeastern Ohio since 1955. When our team comes in to install your AC, we bring a wealth of experience with us. Many of the costs associated with operating a professional service company are calculated into our final fee. Everything from the specialized tools we need to complete our work to the state licensing, bonding, and insurance fees required to operate a business, must be factor into the cost of our services.
For AC replacement services in Cleveland or a nearby area, contact Arco Comfort Air today at (216) 220-2566 to schedule an appointment.